Monday, August 24, 2009

Look, man, I ain't fallin' for no banana in my tailpipe!

Hello, LA based artist Keith Noordzy here (http://www.quid-squid.com, http://www.wonderingart.com)

I was given Beverly Hills Cop to work with, and couldn't have been more happy.



So, how could I not include the banana in the tailpipe...



This was definitely a challenge, the biggest one being how I could sketch my idea onto the poster. Pencil was out, because if you use an eraser it leaves white streaks. Charcoal didn't work, tried 3 different types. Finally I decided to just go straight at it and paint on my poster. Many many many coates of white gesso later I finally had something I could paint on and didn't stop until I was finished.

Some words of advice for other artist...

- Just go at it, the hardest part of doing this piece was just starting. It's a little intimidating because you only have one shot
- Mount your poster. I went to a framer for this to save me some time and frustration. I was told that regular foam core could possibly warp when in contact with water or water soluble materials, so I went with gator board.
- Be careful if you spray with any kind of matte medium/crystal clear/whatever to seal it. It reacts strangely with the colors on the poster.

That's it. I wish I could make it up for the show, so have some fun for me.

1 comment:

Followers