Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Terminator 2: Valentines Day




"T2: VALENTINES DAY"
by Tim Tomkinson
gouache, ink, pencil, & collaged paper
30" x 42"

I was stoked when I got this poster. Definitely one of my favorites when I was a kid!

I wanted to flip the mood of this poster around a bit.. to show the softer side of this badass, rough-and-tumble Terminator character. Who's to say he didn't celebrate Valentine's Day? Or Cinco de Mayo? ... or even Flag Day? I bet he loves them all.

This piece was definitely a challenge. I
first took Katie's advice (via Lawrence Yang) to mount the poster onto Elmer's Foam Board, then I sealed the whole thing with a coating of matte medium.. both of which worked like a charm. I was originally going to try to paint directly onto the poster (or if that didn't work, the matte medium), but I use gouache so it didn't work too well. That left me with collaging in a background to work on, which was pretty tedious. Some of the flowers and leaves (and other random doodles) are drawn onto that first layer of collage, but a lot were drawn separately on different types of paper and then added in on top. For the title and tagline, however... I had to rely on photoshop and my ink-jet printer. Once I got the type, sizing, and color perfect, I printed them out, sealed them with matte medium, and glued them onto the poster. That actually worked better than I thought it would.. you can't even tell unless you get a couple inches away from the surface..

Well.. I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of the posters.. Wish I could make it out for the opening!

- Tim

1 comment:

  1. Well, I am really the great fan of Arnold. And the editing of this movie poster for Valentine day is extremely looking just fantastic and great art. That one is really looking one of the exotic feature for the Valentine Day. Thanks for sharing.

    custom envelope printing

    ReplyDelete

Followers